Europe approves new border surveillance after wreck
Strasbourg: The European Parliament approved on Thursday a new EU border surveillance system to combat a growing influx of illegal immigrants and refugees, just days after the Lampedusa tragedy highlighted the problem.
The Eurosur system means European Union member states will be "better equipped to prevent, detect and combat irregular migration but also to save migrants` lives", a Parliament statement said.
More than 300 people, mostly from Eritrea and Somalia, died last week when their boat sank off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, the first EU landfall for many escaping conflict or seeking a better life.
"Only by having a pan-European border surveillance system can we prevent the Mediterranean from becoming a graveyard for refugees," said Jan Mulder, a Dutch Liberal Democrat MEP who guided Eurosur through Parliament.
"To prevent a tragedy like that off Lampedusa from happening again, rapid intervention is necessary," Mulder added.
The key element in the new system is improved information exchange among member states and with the EU border management agency Frontex, the statement said.
"This includes sharing real-time data and intelligence from various authorities and surveillance tools, such as satellites or ship reporting systems," it added.
The Lampedusa disaster has put the EU`s asylum policy under a harsh spotlight, with many charging that it forces refugees to resort to desperate measures to reach Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city