Europe proposes UNSC reforms: Sarkozy
Toronto: Europe`s most powerful states have proposed concrete reforms to the UN Security Council to give developing powers more say, the French President said on Saturday at a Group of Eight (G8) summit in Canada.
The council has five permanent members with veto powers: Britain, China, France, Russia and the US. Other major states, such as Germany and India, have been calling for years for that elite group to be expanded.
"France and Britain have proposed an interim reform of the UN Security Council. (German) Chancellor (Angela) Merkel supports this reform," Nicolas Sarkozy said.
Diplomats from the countries involved would not be drawn on the substance of their proposal.
But the president of the Council of European Union member states, Herman Van Rompuy, said that it was "an important initiative to rebalance, after 50 years, the composition of the UN Security Council".
Developing states argue that the Security Council is unbalanced because it is dominated by developed states and has no permanent place for new powers such as Brazil, India and South Africa.
There was "extensive discussion" of the proposal at a G8 dinner on Friday, Van Rompuy said.
Four of the five veto holders - Britain, France, Russia and the US - are G8 members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof