Europe terror threat is `real`: EU counter-terrorism chief
Brussels: The terror alert issued this
week for European cities is real as al Qaeda is still plotting
a major attack against the West, the European Union`s
counter-terrorism coordinator said on Wednesday.
"It is real. I think that public officials would not
terrify the population without anything to back it up," said
EU counter-terrorism coordinator Gilles de Kerchove.
"It is in the context of a general threat that has not
diminished in recent times," de Kerchove told the official EU
This week the United States, Britain, Japan and Sweden
issued alert warnings of a "possible terrorist attack" by
al Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens
travelling in Europe.
"It is the confirmation of what I have been saying for
some time, which is that you cannot conclude from the absence
of attacks that there is no threat.
"We know that there is still the intention, notably
from al Qaeda, to commit wide-scale attacks," de Kerchove
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing