Europe terror threat is `real`: EU counter-terrorism chief
Brussels: The terror alert issued this
week for European cities is real as al Qaeda is still plotting
a major attack against the West, the European Union`s
counter-terrorism coordinator said on Wednesday.
"It is real. I think that public officials would not
terrify the population without anything to back it up," said
EU counter-terrorism coordinator Gilles de Kerchove.
"It is in the context of a general threat that has not
diminished in recent times," de Kerchove told the official EU
This week the United States, Britain, Japan and Sweden
issued alert warnings of a "possible terrorist attack" by
al Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens
travelling in Europe.
"It is the confirmation of what I have been saying for
some time, which is that you cannot conclude from the absence
of attacks that there is no threat.
"We know that there is still the intention, notably
from al Qaeda, to commit wide-scale attacks," de Kerchove
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today
- Shashank Manohar to step down as BCCI boss for ICC chairman's post?