Europe terror threat is `real`: EU counter-terrorism chief
Brussels: The terror alert issued this
week for European cities is real as al Qaeda is still plotting
a major attack against the West, the European Union`s
counter-terrorism coordinator said on Wednesday.
"It is real. I think that public officials would not
terrify the population without anything to back it up," said
EU counter-terrorism coordinator Gilles de Kerchove.
"It is in the context of a general threat that has not
diminished in recent times," de Kerchove told the official EU
This week the United States, Britain, Japan and Sweden
issued alert warnings of a "possible terrorist attack" by
al Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens
travelling in Europe.
"It is the confirmation of what I have been saying for
some time, which is that you cannot conclude from the absence
of attacks that there is no threat.
"We know that there is still the intention, notably
from al Qaeda, to commit wide-scale attacks," de Kerchove
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny