Europe terror threat is `real`: EU counter-terrorism chief
Brussels: The terror alert issued this
week for European cities is real as al Qaeda is still plotting
a major attack against the West, the European Union`s
counter-terrorism coordinator said on Wednesday.
"It is real. I think that public officials would not
terrify the population without anything to back it up," said
EU counter-terrorism coordinator Gilles de Kerchove.
"It is in the context of a general threat that has not
diminished in recent times," de Kerchove told the official EU
This week the United States, Britain, Japan and Sweden
issued alert warnings of a "possible terrorist attack" by
al Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens
travelling in Europe.
"It is the confirmation of what I have been saying for
some time, which is that you cannot conclude from the absence
of attacks that there is no threat.
"We know that there is still the intention, notably
from al Qaeda, to commit wide-scale attacks," de Kerchove
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem