Europe terror threat is `real`: EU counter-terrorism chief
Brussels: The terror alert issued this
week for European cities is real as al Qaeda is still plotting
a major attack against the West, the European Union`s
counter-terrorism coordinator said on Wednesday.
"It is real. I think that public officials would not
terrify the population without anything to back it up," said
EU counter-terrorism coordinator Gilles de Kerchove.
"It is in the context of a general threat that has not
diminished in recent times," de Kerchove told the official EU
This week the United States, Britain, Japan and Sweden
issued alert warnings of a "possible terrorist attack" by
al Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens
travelling in Europe.
"It is the confirmation of what I have been saying for
some time, which is that you cannot conclude from the absence
of attacks that there is no threat.
"We know that there is still the intention, notably
from al Qaeda, to commit wide-scale attacks," de Kerchove
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees