European bishops urge abuse victims to go to the police
Vatican City: European bishops are urging clerical sex abuse victims to go to police and are promising more transparency and cooperation with civil authorities in abuse cases.
The Swiss Bishops Conference said Wednesday that its members underestimated the problem of clerical abuse and are now telling victims to consider criminal complaints. Denmark`s Catholic Church said it would launch an investigation next week into claims of clerical abuse dating back several decades. And Italy`s bishop`s conference has promised to cooperate with civil authorities.
The statements come a week after Pope Benedict XVI excoriated Irish bishops for serious errors in judgment in their handling of abuse and demanded they cooperate with civil authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown