European bishops urge abuse victims to go to the police
Vatican City: European bishops are urging clerical sex abuse victims to go to police and are promising more transparency and cooperation with civil authorities in abuse cases.
The Swiss Bishops Conference said Wednesday that its members underestimated the problem of clerical abuse and are now telling victims to consider criminal complaints. Denmark`s Catholic Church said it would launch an investigation next week into claims of clerical abuse dating back several decades. And Italy`s bishop`s conference has promised to cooperate with civil authorities.
The statements come a week after Pope Benedict XVI excoriated Irish bishops for serious errors in judgment in their handling of abuse and demanded they cooperate with civil authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL