Europe`s cold closes zoo outside Paris
Thoiry: A count who operates a zoological park on the grounds of his chateau outside Paris says some of his animals just can`t take the cold this winter.
Paul de la Panouse wasn`t surprised to see his ostriches and giraffes prefer the indoors, given where they come from. But even the elephant couldn`t take Europe`s brutal cold snap, despite its thick hide.
So Parc de Thoiry has been closed for five days, even though the bears, hippos, tigers and zebras couldn`t care less and are happily prowling the 370-acre (150 hectare) grounds, including its frozen lakes.
"Ice skating," he said, regarding his giraffes and ostriches, "it`s not for them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players