EU`s Ashton to Egypt: Official
Brussels: Chief EU diplomat Catherine Ashton
will visit Egypt next Tuesday, 24 hours after foreign
ministers consider an asset freeze against henchmen from the
outgoing regime, a spokesman said on Wednesday.
English baroness Ashton "will go to Egypt on Tuesday, she
has been invited" by Egyptian authorities, the spokesman told
AFP, after Cairo initially blocked her attempts to match a
trip to Tunisia with a similar visit to Egypt.
Ashton has a mandate from the leaders of the EU`s 27
states to explore moves to boost democracy in North Africa
while mobilising opportunities for investment from European
EU governments weighed requests from Egypt to freeze the
assets of Hosni Mubarak`s inner circle already yesterday, with
France itself deciding to heighten money-laundering
Cairo wanted a freeze slapped on assets belonging to
seven people, including five parliamentarians and former
government ministers and two of their associates. New names
may be added to the list.
France has asked financial operators to pay "special
attention" and apply "extra measures of vigilance" to suspect
The United States is also looking at similar sanctions,
after Switzerland on Friday froze assets just hours after
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!