Everest avalanche: Australian man saves wife, dies after six hours
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Sydney: After surviving being buried under snow for six hours after an avalanche near Mount Everest, Australian man Dean Higgins has died of hypothermia.
Higgins dug himself out of the snow and saved his wife, Wendy, and fellow campaigners after the avalanche hit while they were trekking in Tibet.
It took the team about eight hours to get down the mountain to safety after which Higgins died. Higgins’ wife said that he was alive until they got down the bottom of the hill.
Chinese state media described the tour as “illegal one” organised by the Tibetan tourist agency. According to reports, three others who died in the accident were Tibetan herders.
The tour was reportedly organised by Tibet Longda International Travel Agency, consisting of four Australian tourists and six Tibetans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!