`Everybody must show restraint` in Egypt: Obama
Dar es Salaam: US President Barack Obama on Monday called on all parties in Egypt to show restraint in mass protests against President Mohamed Mursi, and specifically warned against attacks on women.
"Everybody has to show restraint," Obama said at a press conference in Tanzania, adding that "for those who are participating in these protests or marches, assaulting women does not qualify as peaceful protests".
Egypt`s opposition earlier today gave Mursi a day to quit or face civil disobedience after deadly protests demanded the country`s first democratically elected president step down after just a year in office.
Obama did not take a position on whether it was time for Mursi to go, but called on his government to reach out to the opposition and work through a legitimate process, and to observe the rule of law.
"What is clear right now is that although Mr Mursi was elected democratically, there is more work to be done to create the conditions in which everybody feels their voices are heard," Obama said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended