Evidence of Japanese germ warfare found in SW China
Beijing: Chinese experts reported to have uncovered items presenting fresh evidence of Japanese germ warfare activities in China during World War II.
More than 40 items in southwest China`s Yunnan Province that offer fresh evidence of Japanese germ warfare activities during World War II were uncovered, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
The findings came from field research in May that focused on 15 anti-Japanese War sites and some areas strongly impacted by germ warfare in Yunnan Province, Yang Yanjun, a researcher with the Harbin Academy of Social Sciences who studies Unit 731, the Japanese troops` biological warfare unit, it said.
The items included protective clothing against biological chemicals, rat cages and injection syringes, Yang said.
"These items show that the Japanese army had taken protective measures to keep themselves immune from plague, anthrax and cholera," said Yang.
Yang said further information is required to determine the unit affiliated to Unit 731 and how deep it was involved in germ warfare in Yunnan.
The results of the research confirmed that Japanese military forces launched biological attacks in Yunnan when they invaded the region in May 1942, Xinhua said.
Japanese troops also dropped cholera and pestilence germs into wells, ponds and ditches along a highway linking Yunnan and neighboring Myanmar as well as bacteriological bombs throughout towns and cities in the province, Yang said.
It is estimated that some two lakh local Chinese residents were killed in the Japanese germ attacks in the western part of Yunnan, said Chen Zuliang, a germ warfare expert from Yunnan, the report said.
Unit 731 was a secret biological and chemical weapons research and development unit of the Japanese army and responsible for some of the "most notorious war crimes" during Japan`s invasion of China, including human experimentation, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened