Evidence of Japanese germ warfare found in SW China
Beijing: Chinese experts reported to have uncovered items presenting fresh evidence of Japanese germ warfare activities in China during World War II.
More than 40 items in southwest China`s Yunnan Province that offer fresh evidence of Japanese germ warfare activities during World War II were uncovered, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
The findings came from field research in May that focused on 15 anti-Japanese War sites and some areas strongly impacted by germ warfare in Yunnan Province, Yang Yanjun, a researcher with the Harbin Academy of Social Sciences who studies Unit 731, the Japanese troops` biological warfare unit, it said.
The items included protective clothing against biological chemicals, rat cages and injection syringes, Yang said.
"These items show that the Japanese army had taken protective measures to keep themselves immune from plague, anthrax and cholera," said Yang.
Yang said further information is required to determine the unit affiliated to Unit 731 and how deep it was involved in germ warfare in Yunnan.
The results of the research confirmed that Japanese military forces launched biological attacks in Yunnan when they invaded the region in May 1942, Xinhua said.
Japanese troops also dropped cholera and pestilence germs into wells, ponds and ditches along a highway linking Yunnan and neighboring Myanmar as well as bacteriological bombs throughout towns and cities in the province, Yang said.
It is estimated that some two lakh local Chinese residents were killed in the Japanese germ attacks in the western part of Yunnan, said Chen Zuliang, a germ warfare expert from Yunnan, the report said.
Unit 731 was a secret biological and chemical weapons research and development unit of the Japanese army and responsible for some of the "most notorious war crimes" during Japan`s invasion of China, including human experimentation, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad