Ex-British PM Blair `ready for a comeback’
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair has decided to make a comeback into UK politics, and believes it is the right time for him to do.
Blair will appear on a joint platform with Labour leader Ed Miliband in July at an event to celebrate the Olympics, and is keen to make an impact in British politics.
He wants to re-engage with British politics after amassing an estimated GBP 20 million fortune since leaving office five years ago.
Blair wants to be heard on a range of subjects, and it is signified by his move to hire a public relation expert.
He has recruited Rachel Grant, an Ex-Downing Street and Whitehall press officer who is now communications director at charity the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts (Nesta)
Blair’s close aides are of the opinion the time is right for him to speak out in the UK, as enough time has passed since he was driven from office in 2007 on a wave of disgust at the Iraq War.
“He wants to re-engage in the UK. He has things to say and he thinks it’s the right time,” The Daily Mail quoted Blair’s close source, as saying.
“The question is how he re-enters the UK scene without re-entering domestic politics and interfering with the Labour Party. He wants to intervene where he can add value to political debate, but it will be above party politics,” the source added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister