Ex-British PM Blair `ready for a comeback’
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair has decided to make a comeback into UK politics, and believes it is the right time for him to do.
Blair will appear on a joint platform with Labour leader Ed Miliband in July at an event to celebrate the Olympics, and is keen to make an impact in British politics.
He wants to re-engage with British politics after amassing an estimated GBP 20 million fortune since leaving office five years ago.
Blair wants to be heard on a range of subjects, and it is signified by his move to hire a public relation expert.
He has recruited Rachel Grant, an Ex-Downing Street and Whitehall press officer who is now communications director at charity the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts (Nesta)
Blair’s close aides are of the opinion the time is right for him to speak out in the UK, as enough time has passed since he was driven from office in 2007 on a wave of disgust at the Iraq War.
“He wants to re-engage in the UK. He has things to say and he thinks it’s the right time,” The Daily Mail quoted Blair’s close source, as saying.
“The question is how he re-enters the UK scene without re-entering domestic politics and interfering with the Labour Party. He wants to intervene where he can add value to political debate, but it will be above party politics,” the source added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing