‘Ex-ECB`s Papademos front-runner for Greek PM job’
Athens Former deputy president of the European Central Bank Lucas Papademos is the front runner to become Greece`s new prime minister, Greek media wrote on Monday.
"Lucas Papademos will be as of tomorrow the new prime minister of the country after the agreement that the outgoing Prime Minister George Papandreou and the opposition head Antonis Samaras reached last night," center-left daily Ta Nea wrote, without quoting sources.
Other newspapers also said he was the most likely candidate but that the decision was not final.
"Who is the most probable prime minister? All sources say Lucas Papademos is the person that will accept to take up this role," Ethnos daily said.
A Greek economist, Papademos was vice president of the European Central Bank from 2002-10. As a former governor of the Bank of Greece in 1994-2002, he oversaw the country`s efforts to join the euro zone.
He has been advising outgoing Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou since leaving the ECB.
With Greece due to run out of money in a few weeks, the European Union told its bickering parties to explain by Monday evening how they would form a unity government to enact the 130 billion euro emergency funding package.
Papandreou and conservative leader Antonis Samaras came up on Sunday with a preliminary deal and said they would agree on Monday on who becomes the next prime minister to lead a nation which is destabilizing the entire euro zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof