Ex-Egyptian president`s chief charged
Cairo: Egypt`s official news agency says deposed president Hosni Mubarak`s chief of staff has been charged with corruption and abuse of power.
The Justice Ministry said Zakariya Azmi, one of Egypt`s most powerful officials under Mubarak, will be tried in a criminal court on charges of "misuse of power, authority of his post and his membership in Parliament."
Azmi is charged of "accumulation of wealth in a way beyond what he could have earned from his legitimate sources of income”, Egypt`s Middle East News Agency reported on Wednesday.
Azmi is among dozens of top Mubarak`s officials who are in a Cairo prison, facing trial over similar charges. Mubarak himself is on trial on charges of corruption and ordering the killing of protesters. He could face the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says