Ex-Gaddafi spy charged in Mauritania for illegally
Nouakchott: Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s ex-spy chief, who was arrested two months ago by Mauritanian authorities, has been charged for illegally entering the country.
According to a source, Abdullah Senussi, who is wanted by France, the international criminal court and Libya, will face trial for entering Mauritania illegally with a falsified Malian passport, a crime that carries a maximum three-year jail term.
The Guardian quoted a judicial source, as saying that a trial was unlikely to begin soon.
“A [trial start] date doesn`t have to be set for up to three years, so that will buy the authorities time,” the source said.
Senussi, a confidante and brother-in-law to Gaddafi, is alleged to be behind a massacre in Tripoli`s notorious Abu Salim prison, which left around 1,200 inmates dead, and triggered Libya`s revolt when lawyers sought to reopen the case last year.
France wants to try Senussi in connection with the 1989 bombing of an airliner over Niger in which 170 died.
An ICC warrant is seeking Senussi for crimes against humanity in Libya.
British officials have also indicated they could seek access to him in relation to the Lockerbie bombing, in which Senussi is suspected of playing of a role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'