Ex-governor gets 14 years in Obama seat scam
Chicago: Ousted Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich was sentenced to 14 years in prison Thursday for trying to auction off President Barack Obama`s vacated US Senate seat and a host of other corruption charges.
The Democratic governor was arrested in the midst of what
prosecutors called a "political corruption crime spree" just
weeks after Obama`s historic November 2008 election.
He was convicted of 17 corruption counts in June after
his first trial resulted in a hung jury on all but one of the
"The harm here is not measured in the value of money and
property," Judge James Zagel told Blagojevich in handing down
"The harm is the erosion of the public trust in
government; (people`s) confidence in and trust in government."
The expletive-laden transcripts of Blagojevich`s secretly
recorded conversations and his subsequent antics created
fascinating political theatre.
While Obama managed to emerge untainted, the scandal
shone a spotlight on the state`s corruption-filled political
scene and cast a shadow on his early days in office.
Five of the past nine Illinois governors have been
indicted or arrested for fraud or bribery, and Blagojevich`s
predecessor, Republican George Ryan, is currently serving a
six-and-a-half year jail term for fraud and racketeering.
Blagojevich`s lawyers urged Zagel not to make an example
of Blagojevich, noting that Blagojevich never lined his
pockets like other recently convicted politicians, but instead
was merely convicted of pushing for campaign donations and a
plum job in exchange for political favours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured