Ex-Guatemalan soldier sentenced to US prison for lying
Riverside: A former Guatemalan special forces soldier has been sentenced to 10 years in an American prison for lying on his US citizenship papers about his alleged role in a civil war massacre more than three decades ago.
California US District Court Judge Virginia A. Phillips on today also stripped 55-year-old Jorge Sosa of his US citizenship.
Sosa was convicted last year of lying on his 2007 naturalisation application about his role in the Guatemalan military and alleged participation in the killing of at least 160 people in the village of Dos Erres in 1982.
Sosa used to work as a martial arts instructor in Riverside County. He was arrested in Canada in 2011, where he is also a citizen, and extradited to face charges in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre