Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi hints at comeback bid
London: Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, who was jeered out of office last year after being accused of paying for sex with a 17-year-old girl, has hinted that he is planning on taking charge of the government.
Italy was abuzz with speculation that Berlusconi could return to lead the right into an early general election, perhaps as standard-bearer of a party bent on withdrawing Italy from the euro.
According to The Guardian, he gave his clearest indication yet that he is planning a return at the end of last week, when he told an audience of young rightwingers.
“I’m working on solutions. I’m still here,” Berlusconi said, and then, as if speaking from a campaign platform, he added, ‘give me 51 percent’ (of the votes).
Italy is not due to have elections until May 2013, but increasing rhetoric from Berlusconi`s party has suggested they could come as soon as October.
According to the paper, Berlusconi`s party still has the votes in Parliament to bring down the unelected technocratic government led by Mario Monti.
A snap vote in October would have effects far beyond Italy, because it would bring down the curtain on Monti and his team, put into office last November to pass unpopular measures demanded by Italy`s eurozone partners that Berlusconi`s government had been reluctant to introduce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read