Ex-Italian PM Berlusconi hints at comeback bid
London: Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, who was jeered out of office last year after being accused of paying for sex with a 17-year-old girl, has hinted that he is planning on taking charge of the government.
Italy was abuzz with speculation that Berlusconi could return to lead the right into an early general election, perhaps as standard-bearer of a party bent on withdrawing Italy from the euro.
According to The Guardian, he gave his clearest indication yet that he is planning a return at the end of last week, when he told an audience of young rightwingers.
“I’m working on solutions. I’m still here,” Berlusconi said, and then, as if speaking from a campaign platform, he added, ‘give me 51 percent’ (of the votes).
Italy is not due to have elections until May 2013, but increasing rhetoric from Berlusconi`s party has suggested they could come as soon as October.
According to the paper, Berlusconi`s party still has the votes in Parliament to bring down the unelected technocratic government led by Mario Monti.
A snap vote in October would have effects far beyond Italy, because it would bring down the curtain on Monti and his team, put into office last November to pass unpopular measures demanded by Italy`s eurozone partners that Berlusconi`s government had been reluctant to introduce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more