Ex-Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi gets political ban
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: An Italian court in Milan on Saturday ordered a two-year ban for former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi from the parliament and elections. The court also barred him from holding public office following a conviction for tax fraud.
In the latest twist in his legal saga, the ruling is part of the tax fraud case against the billionaire tycoon -- his first ever definitive criminal conviction -- in which he faces a year of community service or house arrest.
The 77-year-old Berlusconi was not present at today`s hearing and his defence lawyers have the right to appeal the verdict, although it was not immediately clear whether they would.
"This is the latest piece in a mosaic that aims to eliminate the leader of 10 million Italians from the political scene and is destined to fail," said Renato Schifani, the chief senator from Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party.
In order for the ban to come into force, it has to be approved by the Senate parliamentary chamber where Berlusconi, who has repeatedly protested his innocence in all the cases against him, has a seat.
Banishment would be a humiliation for Berlusconi, who has been in parliament ever since the media and construction magnate first entered politics in 1994 and became a headline act.
His ejection from parliament is in any case already under discussion because of a new law approved last year against parliamentarians with criminal sentences of more than two years.
That law would also ban Berlusconi from running for office for six years although a Senate vote is also required in that case and his lawyers have appealed to the European Court of Human Rights over the law, even though lawmakers from Berlusconi`s own party had approved it.
The supreme court on August 1 turned down Berlusconi`s second and final appeal in the case but said another court should decide on a ban from parliament of between one and three years.
Prosecutors at today`s hearing had requested a two-year ban while Berlusconi`s lawyers had asked for the minimum one year.
There is concern that the ruling could re-stoke political tensions in Italy`s uneasy right-left coalition that had abated since Prime Minister Enrico Letta won a confidence vote in parliament against a challenge from Berlusconi on October 2.
"I think this country needs anything but political instability," Giorgio Squinzi, leader of the Confindustria employers` association, said at a conference after today`s ruling.
"The markets react immediately and we have seen that in the past few weeks," he said.
Italy is struggling to shake off a two-year recession that has pushed unemployment to record-high levels, forced thousands of businesses to shut and led to steep budget cuts.
With AFP inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre