Ex-journo firm to tell China`s Great Famine story
Sydney: Few would recall that China was ravaged by a famine 50 years ago that killed up to 45 million people. Now, after the issue remaining a taboo subject for half-a-century, a former journalist attached with China state news agency is determined to inform the world about it.
Author Yang Jisheng is an unassuming figure, and since his retirement, he has worked on the innocuously titled Annals of the Yellow Emperor journal.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the horror stories penned by the 72-year-old are so savage and excessive, that they could almost be taken as the blackest of comedies; the bleakest of farces; the most extreme of satires on fanaticism and tyranny.
A decade after the Communist party took power in 1949, promising to serve the people, the greatest man-made disaster in history stalked the already impoverished land.
In the country’s central Henan province alone, more than a million people - one in eight – were are wiped out by starvation and brutality over three short years.
In barely nine months, over 12,000 people - a third of the inhabitants - died in a single commune; a tenth of its households were wiped out.
Yang has devoted the past 15 years of his life to document the catastrophe that claimed at least 36 million lives across the country, including that of his father.
The Great Famine remains a taboo in China, where it is referred to as the Three Years of Natural Disasters or the Three Years of Difficulties.
Yang`s monumental account, first published in Hong Kong, is banned in his homeland.
He says that he felt terribly depressed when he went through the documents for the first time, but with the passage of time, his feelings became numbed, and this enabled him to carry on with his project.
Though a sense of deep anger imbues his book, it is all the more powerful for its restraint.
Writing Tombstone has been a personal mission to remember those who died, including his father.
"I just had a very strong desire to find out the facts. I was cheated and I don``t want to be cheated again," Yang says.
Yang is convinced that Tombstone will be published on the mainland, maybe within the decade.
He says there are probably 100,000 copies already in circulation, including pirated versions and those smuggled from Hong Kong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly