Ex-Libyan PM loses last Tunisia extradition appeal
Tunis: Tunisia`s Appeals Court has upheld the extradition of Libya`s former prime minister exhausting the appeals process.
Following the late Friday decision, Al-Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi can now be sent back to Libya, pending the approval of Tunisia`s government and President.
Al-Mahmoudi was convicted of illegally crossing into Tunisia and imprisoned there in September, but the conviction was later overturned.
Libyan authorities, however, then requested his extradition.
His lawyers allege he would be in mortal danger if he returned to Libya, where rebels overthrew his government in August.
Tunisia`s interim government has just stepped down and a new one is in the process of being formed by the newly-elected assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH