Ex-mayor among mafia suspects arrested in Italy
Reggio Calabria (Italy): A former mayor was among seven Calabrian mafia suspects arrested in southern Italy Wednesday in an operation involving police from Reggio Calabria and Rome.
The suspects have links to Ndrangheta`s Alvaro clan (Calabrian mafia), according to anti-mafia investigators.
The suspects include Rocco Palermo, an ex-mayor of San Procopio town, two businessmen and a shop owner. All of them face charges of mafia association and fraud.
The Alvaro clan has a complete monopoly over public works contracts thanks to a network of "friendly" local government administrators and businessmen and its leadership`s infiltration of various economic sectors, investigators said.
Palermo is alleged to be a top aide of `Ndrangheta member Cosimo Alvaro, son of the Alvaro clan boss Cosimo Alvaro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH