Ex-mayor among mafia suspects arrested in Italy
Reggio Calabria (Italy): A former mayor was among seven Calabrian mafia suspects arrested in southern Italy Wednesday in an operation involving police from Reggio Calabria and Rome.
The suspects have links to Ndrangheta`s Alvaro clan (Calabrian mafia), according to anti-mafia investigators.
The suspects include Rocco Palermo, an ex-mayor of San Procopio town, two businessmen and a shop owner. All of them face charges of mafia association and fraud.
The Alvaro clan has a complete monopoly over public works contracts thanks to a network of "friendly" local government administrators and businessmen and its leadership`s infiltration of various economic sectors, investigators said.
Palermo is alleged to be a top aide of `Ndrangheta member Cosimo Alvaro, son of the Alvaro clan boss Cosimo Alvaro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report