Ex-Norwegian Bishop admits child abuse: Church
Oslo: A German-born former Catholic Bishop
in Norway, Georg Mueller, has admitted sexually abusing a
minor 20 years ago, the Norwegian Catholic Church said on Wednesday.
"The Catholic Church in Norway is in shock after it
was revealed that former bishop Mueller of Trondheim, on
Norway`s western coast, admitted being guilty of sexual abuse
of a minor and said that was why he left his post last year,"
the Church said in a statement.
Georg Mueller, 58, who was born near Trier in Germany,
stepped down as bishop of Trondheim last year, officially
because he was unsuited for the work.
According to the local daily Adresseavisen, which
broke the story, the affair goes back more than 20 years to
when Mueller was a priest in Trondheim. The victim was a choir
boy, who is now around 30 years old, and has been paid
damages by the Church.
The Vatican has been aware of the facts since January
2009 but the details have not been released "at the request of
the victim," the Church said.
The current Bishop of Trondheim and Oslo, Bernt
Eidsvig, said that it was Cardinal William Levada, in the
Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith who gave him "the
heavy task" of announcing that the Holy See had been informed
of the accusations against bishop Mueller at the end of
January last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief