Ex-Norwegian Bishop admits child abuse: Church
Oslo: A German-born former Catholic Bishop
in Norway, Georg Mueller, has admitted sexually abusing a
minor 20 years ago, the Norwegian Catholic Church said on Wednesday.
"The Catholic Church in Norway is in shock after it
was revealed that former bishop Mueller of Trondheim, on
Norway`s western coast, admitted being guilty of sexual abuse
of a minor and said that was why he left his post last year,"
the Church said in a statement.
Georg Mueller, 58, who was born near Trier in Germany,
stepped down as bishop of Trondheim last year, officially
because he was unsuited for the work.
According to the local daily Adresseavisen, which
broke the story, the affair goes back more than 20 years to
when Mueller was a priest in Trondheim. The victim was a choir
boy, who is now around 30 years old, and has been paid
damages by the Church.
The Vatican has been aware of the facts since January
2009 but the details have not been released "at the request of
the victim," the Church said.
The current Bishop of Trondheim and Oslo, Bernt
Eidsvig, said that it was Cardinal William Levada, in the
Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith who gave him "the
heavy task" of announcing that the Holy See had been informed
of the accusations against bishop Mueller at the end of
January last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’