Ex-nuclear negotiator named to Iran arbitration body
Tehran: Hardline former top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili was on Thursday appointed to Iran`s top political arbitration body, the Expediency Council, state television reported.
The appointment was made by Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, to whom the council provides advice on different national issues.
It comprises high-ranking religious and political figures and former government officials, and is also tasked with resolving legislative issues between the parliament and the Guardians Council, which interprets the constitution.
Under former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who now sits on the council, Jalili was secretary of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC).
New President Hassan Rowhani today replaced Jalili with decorated admiral Ali Shamkhani, who served as defence minister under two reformist administrations.
Jalili ran unsuccessfully in the June 14 elections against Rowhani, who won a surprise victory.
He campaigned on the strength of having been Iran`s point-man in talks with the so-called P5+1 group of world powers on Tehran`s controversial nuclear ambitions since 2007, which have never achieved a breakthrough.
But his performance in the talks, and what was described as an inability to make concessions, were criticised during the presidential campaign.
The television also said Khamenei had chosen Shamkhani as his special representative to the council for the next three years, replacing Rowhani, who had been one of the supreme leader`s two representative since 1989.
Until now, the SNSC has been heavily involved in Iran`s nuclear talks, but its active role is expected to be diminished after Rowhani charged the foreign ministry last week with taking the lead on negotiations.
The SNCS is tasked with dictating defence and security policies and for marshalling Iran`s resources to confront domestic and foreign threats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!