Ex-official of MIC`s education wing charged with cheating
Kuala Lumpur: A former executive of the
educational arm of Malaysia`s largest ethnic Indian party has
been charged with cheating and fraud involving a sum of four
million ringgit, an offence that carries a term of up to 10
P Chithirakala, the former chief executive officer of
the Maju Institute of Educational Development (MIED), the
educational arm of the Malaysian Indian Congress, was charged
in the Sessions Court here with three counts of cheating.
The 39-year-old mother for four kids has been accused
of cheating former MIC treasurer-general M Mahalingam, 74, who
was a director and signatory of MIED Sdn Bhd, by deceiving him
to believe that a one million ringgit cheque was for a loan
She was also charged similarly for other frauds,
offences to which Chithirakala pleaded not guilty.
The offence carries a jail sentence of not less than
one year and up to a maximum 10 years` jail, and a whipping.
Chithirakala hit the headlines last year when she
alleged that the MIC had misappropriated a government
allocation meant to help the hardcore poor Indian community.
On Nov 3 last year, she filed three defamation suits
against MIC president S Samy Vellu, his wife R Indrani, and
the publisher of a Tamil daily and its editor-in-chief K
Padmanabhan for making derogatory remarks against her and her
MIED is the educational arm of the MIC and was
incorporated on Feb 29, 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!