Ex-Official seized in Mexico corruption case
Mexico City: Officials say the former Treasurer of the state of Tabasco has been arrested on the US border in an embezzlement investigation after nearly $7 million in cash was found in his office.
A Mexican Official speaking on condition of anonymity said Jose Saiz was detained on Saturday after he attempted to cross from the city of Reynosa, across the border from McAllen, Texas.
Saiz`s Attorney, Xavier Olea, confirmed the arrest in comments to Mexican media. Calls to Olea`s office went unanswered on Sunday.
State prosecutors said last month they found 88.5 million pesos in an office used by Saiz, who served under former Gov. Andres Granier.
The state`s current Governor has accused his predecessor of embezzling millions, claims strengthened by reports of extravagant spending by Granier and his inner circle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends