Ex-Panamanian dictator Noriega has brain tumour
Panama City: Former Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega, serving a 20-year jail sentence in Panama, was hospitalised on Wednesday for what authorities say was a routine check-up, though his attorney says he has been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
"He will undergo several routine exams," Angel Calderon, head of Panama`s jail system said, adding that Noriega suffered a bout of flu last week.
But the former strongman`s lawyer said Noriega`s health has deteriorated due to poor treatment in jail for flu and fever, and a brain tumour recently detected by his doctors.
"His health is getting worse, but our request to keep him in hospital has been delayed," lawyer Julio Berrios said.
The 78-year-old Noriega, once Panama`s drug-running military ruler, is serving a two-decade sentence in his native country for crimes committed during his 1983-1989 rule, including the killing of political opponents.
He was ousted in a US invasion in 1989 after his once-cozy relationship with Washington soured over his ties to Colombian cocaine traffickers. He has spent the last twenty years behind bars, first in Florida and then in France, after being convicted for drug trafficking and money laundering.
Noriega was extradited back to Panama in December and last month he was taken from prison to a public hospital after fainting from high blood pressure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened