Ex-Peru prez attends daughter`s jailhouse wedding: Reports
Lima: Ex-Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori attended the nuptials of his daughter Sachi inside the police facility where he is serving 25 years for rights abuses, a media report has said.
Sachi Marcela Fujimori, 30, wed German Mark Koening in front of about 40 close family and friends at the tiny chapel inside the facility where Fujimori has his special cell, RPP radio reported yesterday.
The bride lives overseas but was said to be determined to have her father at her side at the altar, which was about 400 meters from Fujimori`s holding cell.
Peruvian President Alan Garcia dismissed charges from political opponents that Fujimori was receiving special treatment.
"Every father has the right to be at his daughter`s side on her wedding day," Garcia said.
A Lima court convicted Fujimori, now 71, in April 2009 of crimes in connection with the activities of an Army death squad during his rule. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Fujimori fled to Asia in 2000 and sent a fax from a Tokyo hotel announcing his resignation as president. Japan considered him as a national by descent, and refused to extradite him.
However, in 2005 he travelled to Chile intending to restart his political career in Peru. He was arrested on arrival and extradited to Peru in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'