Ex-Philippines President Arroyo, 21 others charged with plunder
Manila: Former Philippines President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and 21 government officials were charged Thursday with plunder for alleged misuse of the $20.74 million Malampaya fund in 2009.
Philippine Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, whose office has jurisdiction over the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), has conducted the investigation and led the filing of complaints before the office of the Ombudsman, reports Xinhua.
Arroyo`s cabinet officials such as former Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita, Budget Secretary Rolando Andaya and Agrarian Reform Secretary Nasser Pangandaman were also charged with plunder.
Some of them were also facing violation of anti-graft and corrupt practices act.
The $20.74 million was given to fake NGOs. It was meant to benefit victims of Tropical Storm Ketsana and Typhoon Parma in 2009.
De Lima said the NGOs falsified the signatures of local officials whose areas were hit by weather disturbances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?