Ex-President George HW Bush in stable condition
Houston: Former US President George H W Bush remains in a stable condition after being hospitalised at a Texas hospital for bronchitis.
The 88-year-old former president`s illness was described as not life-threatening.
He has been in and out of Methodist Hospital in Houston receiving treatment for complications related to bronchitis, according to a statement from Methodist Hospital today.
"He is in stable condition, and is expected to be released within the next 72 hours," the statement said.
Dr Amy Myunderse, who is in-charge of Bush`s care, said: "Any time someone the president`s age had bronchitis, there`s concern about possible pneumonia."
"Bush`s condition never progressed to that level."
He was treated with antibiotics and steroids, she said.
The hospital and Bush`s spokesman in Houston, Jim McGrath, described his condition as stable and said they expected the former president to be released by the weekend.
He`s been under hospital care for nearly a week.
"If you asked him today, he would tell you he feels good enough to get out this afternoon," McGrath said.
"But the doctors have a different view. He`s 88, and they`re being extra careful, and understandably so."
Meanwhile, Bush`s family has said publicly the former president is no longer able to walk unassisted, a frustration for a man who enjoyed an active lifestyle of golf, fishing, jogging and power walks on the beach near his summer home in Maine.
In Houston, where he and his wife Barbara Bush have lived since leaving the White House almost 20 years ago, President Bush has been in and out of the hospital for health concerns and two hip replacement surgeries.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Sensex cracks below 26,000-mark, tanks 461 points
- Ranbir Kapoor's superhero dreams shattered?
- Make PM Narendra Modi's educational qualification public; people want to know truth: Arvind Kejriwal
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world