Ex-president Nasheed confident of Maldives election
Colombo: Despite his rivals refusing to sign an all-important electoral list, necessary for the Maldives presidential elections to be held, former president Mohamed Nasheed on Friday signed the document and expressed confidence that polling will go ahead as scheduled Saturday.
Speaking to reporters after signing the list in Male Friday, Nasheed said his two rivals and the people want the elections to be held Oct 19, Xinhua reported.
However, Jumhoory Party (JP) presidential candidate Gasim Ibrahim and Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) candidate Abdulla Yamin or their representatives are yet to sign the voters` list which needs to be dispatched to all polling stations for Saturday`s voting.
Nasheed further said both his rivals had assured him and foreign envoys that they wish the polls to be held on Saturday.
But holding elections Saturday now hinges on the signing of the electoral list by the candidates.
The Supreme Court had annulled the first round of elections which were held Sep 7 and ordered fresh polls after hearing a petition on allegations of electoral fraud made by third placed candidate Ibrahim Gasim.
In the 16-point guidelines issued with the verdict, the highest court stated that for voting to commence in the Maldives and abroad, the voters` register must contain the voter`s name, permanent address and identity card number and must be approved by the Elections Commission and the candidates or their representatives.
Nasheed urged his rival candidates to put aside personal interests for the sake of the rights of the people.
Nasheed secured 45.45 percent of the vote in an election which international observers including India said were free and fair.
Business tycoon Gasim demanded that the first round be annulled by the Supreme Court, alleging massive election corruption despite international monitors saying polling was free and fair.
India and the US have called for resumption of polling at the earliest possible opportunity.
India`s Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh arrived in Male Wednesday and had discussions with the candidates in an attempt to push forward with the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!