Ex-priest indicted for sex abuse in Italy
Rome: A politically connected former priest
has been indicted on charges he sexually molested 12 young men
and boys who were being treated at the drug rehabilitation
centre he founded in Italy.
85-year-old Pierino Gelmini has denied the charges as
Gelmini was one of Italy`s most recognised and
well-connected priests before he requested to be relieved of
his clerical status in 2008.
A year earlier, the first nine men came forward with
allegations that Gelmini sexually abused them while they were
residents at his Comunita Incontro rehab centre based in the
Umbrian town of Amelia.
Gelmini`s lawyer, Lanfranco Frezza, said today the first
hearing in the trial is set for March 29, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube