Ex-Romanian PM tries to commit suicide
Bucharest: Former Romanian prime minister Adrian Nastase tried to commit suicide, hours after he was sentenced by the country`s top court to serve two years in prison for illegal fundraising.
He was not in a life-threatening condition, Xinhua reported.
Nastase shot himself in the neck, and was sent to Floreasca Emergency Hospital.
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta has rushed to the hospital to see Nastase who is waiting for surgery.
Nastase, 62, was found to have abused "the influence or authority of the office of a party chairman to organise a symposium in order to raise money for the Presidential Election campaign he was to embark on”.
The participation fees for the symposium, amounting to more than EUR 1.6 million (about USD 2 million), were transferred to a company that provided various services during the presidential campaign of the social-democratic leader.
In January 2012, the Romanian high court had sentenced Nastase to two years in prison, but the latter challenged the sentence by appeal, arguing that the trial was politically motivated.
The top court`s verdict on Wednesday, however, is final. Nastase has 24 hours before being taken into custody. The former prime minister said earlier that he would appeal against the verdict at the European Court of Human Rights.
Nastase served as Romanian prime minister from 2000 to 2004 and headed the Social Democracy Party from 2000 to 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore