Ex-Russian colonel held for `plotting armed rebellion`
Moscow: A retired colonel of the Russia`s
most secretive GRU military intelligence has been arrested
on charges of plotting an armed rebellion in the country, a
media report said on Friday.
The elite Russian FSB security service arrested
GRU Colonel (Retd) Vladimir Kvachkov last night from his
apartment in the capital. He has been put in the FSB
high-security Lefortovo Prison after his arrest was allowed by
a court, Rossiya 24 channel reported.
His lawyers confirmed that their client has been
arrested on charges of plotting an armed rebellion.
Kvachkov, in his statement recorded last night during
the court hearing, denied the charges.
GRU or Glavnoye Razvedyvatel`noye Upravleniye is the
foreign military intelligence directorate of the General Staff
of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
Earlier this week, a Moscow court acquitted the former
colonel and two other defendants in a case of attempt on the
life of former vice premier Anatoly Chubais in March 2005.
A bomb was detonated as Chubais was going to office
from his farm house and his armoured BMW was spewed with
Chubais is also well-known as the architect of
Russia`s privatization programme in the 1990s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen