Ex-Russian colonel held for `plotting armed rebellion`
Moscow: A retired colonel of the Russia`s
most secretive GRU military intelligence has been arrested
on charges of plotting an armed rebellion in the country, a
media report said on Friday.
The elite Russian FSB security service arrested
GRU Colonel (Retd) Vladimir Kvachkov last night from his
apartment in the capital. He has been put in the FSB
high-security Lefortovo Prison after his arrest was allowed by
a court, Rossiya 24 channel reported.
His lawyers confirmed that their client has been
arrested on charges of plotting an armed rebellion.
Kvachkov, in his statement recorded last night during
the court hearing, denied the charges.
GRU or Glavnoye Razvedyvatel`noye Upravleniye is the
foreign military intelligence directorate of the General Staff
of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
Earlier this week, a Moscow court acquitted the former
colonel and two other defendants in a case of attempt on the
life of former vice premier Anatoly Chubais in March 2005.
A bomb was detonated as Chubais was going to office
from his farm house and his armoured BMW was spewed with
Chubais is also well-known as the architect of
Russia`s privatization programme in the 1990s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men