Ex-UK police officer jailed over leaks to tabloid
London: A former British police sergeant has been sentenced to 10 months in jail for trying to sell details about a celebrity couple`s daughter and other confidential information to a newspaper.
James Bowers was sentenced on Thursday after pleading guilty to misconduct in public office. Prosecutors said he passed information about three incidents, one involving the 2-year-old daughter of model Katie Price and singer Peter Andre, to the Rupert Murdoch-owned The Sun tabloid.
The 30-year-old was arrested as part of Operation Elveden, an investigation into police corruption.
The inquiry is running alongside investigations into phone and computer hacking sparked by revelations that reporters at Murdoch`s now-shuttered News of the World tabloid regularly intercepted voicemails.
About 20 people have been charged in the scandal, including journalists, police officers and former Murdoch executives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port