Ex-UK police officer jailed over leaks to tabloid
London: A former British police sergeant has been sentenced to 10 months in jail for trying to sell details about a celebrity couple`s daughter and other confidential information to a newspaper.
James Bowers was sentenced on Thursday after pleading guilty to misconduct in public office. Prosecutors said he passed information about three incidents, one involving the 2-year-old daughter of model Katie Price and singer Peter Andre, to the Rupert Murdoch-owned The Sun tabloid.
The 30-year-old was arrested as part of Operation Elveden, an investigation into police corruption.
The inquiry is running alongside investigations into phone and computer hacking sparked by revelations that reporters at Murdoch`s now-shuttered News of the World tabloid regularly intercepted voicemails.
About 20 people have been charged in the scandal, including journalists, police officers and former Murdoch executives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!