Ex-US guard sentenced to 9 years in prison
Washington: A former US security guard has been sentenced to nine years in prison for trying to sell photos and other secret information to China`s Ministry of State Security, about half what prosecutors had requested.
US District Court Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle sentenced Bryan Underwood on Tuesday in a case she called "half-baked treason" by a person who was not mentally stable.
Last year, Underwood pleaded guilty to attempting to communicate national defense information to a foreign government.
The Justice Department says Underwood took photographs of restricted areas at the new US consulate in Guangzhou and planned to use them to help China eavesdrop on US officials.
Underwood wrote a letter expressing his desire to work for the China ministry, but was turned away when he attempted to deliver it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report