Ex-US Secretary of State Albright given Swedish prize
Stockholm: Former US secretary of state Madeleine Albright will receive a prize in memory of assassinated Swedish prime minister Anna Lindh for her role as a "unique female leader", the award`s organisers announced today.
The Anna Lindh prize, worth USD 23,000, is given to those who "help others and strive for a more humane and just world", according to the Anna Lindh memorial fund, which bestows the honour.
Albright, 76, is "one of the most remarkable diplomats of our times... (She) was a colleague, friend and role model for Anna Lindh," the fund said in a statement.
After being sworn in as the first female secretary of state on January 23, 1997, Albright steered foreign policy for president Bill Clinton until he left office four years later.
She is credited with a key role in advancing the Middle East peace process and influencing America`s international policy on arms control and human rights.
Anna Lindh was murdered on September 11, 2003 by a mentally ill young Swedish man, Mijailo Mihailovic, who was of Serb origin.
The prize will be officially awarded to Albright on September 11, 2013, in a ceremony in Stockholm that marks the tenth anniversary of Lindh`s murder. Albright will be present via video link.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state