Exhumation of alleged mass grave begins in Kosovo
Belgrade: The search for a mass grave in the village of Zilivode near the capital Pristina, said to contain the bodies of 25 Serbs kidnapped or killed in Kosovo, began under the supervision of both local and international observers, a media report said on Wednesday.
During the initial soil excavation, members of a joint Belgrade and Pristina commission on missing persons, members of the European Union mission (EULEX), Mladjan Djordjevic, advisor for Kosovo to the Serbian President, Veljko Odalovic, chairman of the state Commission on Missing Persons, Prenk Djetaj, chairman of the Kosovo Commission on Missing Persons and Arsim Grdzalija forensic expert with the Kosovo Ministry of Justice were at the scene on Tuesday, Xinhua reported.
The location of the alleged mass grave was disclosed during meetings with Kosovo and Serbian dialogue groups on missing persons. It is believed to contain the bodies of nine workers from the Belacevac strip mine kidnapped in 1998 along with the remains of other Serbs dumped at the site.
This is the second attempt to examine the location, after a landslide forced investigators to call off an earlier excavation.
"We need to work carefully, step by step, until we reach the depth of 25 metres. There was a landslide last time and we need to take care of our men," Djetaj said.
Kosovo authorities have also reportedly agreed to a request by Serbia to search for alleged mass graves sites in the Kosare area; however the area has yet to be cleared of landmines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’