Exit polls tilt toward Swiss deportation plan
Geneva: Swiss state broadcaster SF1 says exit polls indicate that voters narrowly backed a plan to automatically deport foreigners found guilty of committing serious crimes or benefit fraud.
SF1 says exit polls show 53 per cent of voters have voted in favour of the proposal put forward by the nationalist Swiss People`s Party, or SVP, and with 47 per cent of those polled against.
The head of polling group gfs.bern, Claude Longchamp, says a three per cent margin of error means the final outcome cannot be predicted with certainty yet.
The SVP plan drew fire from legal experts and anti-racism groups ahead of Sunday`s vote.
A government-backed proposal would have required case-by-case review by a judge before an individual is deported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'