Exit polls tilt toward Swiss deportation plan
Geneva: Swiss state broadcaster SF1 says exit polls indicate that voters narrowly backed a plan to automatically deport foreigners found guilty of committing serious crimes or benefit fraud.
SF1 says exit polls show 53 per cent of voters have voted in favour of the proposal put forward by the nationalist Swiss People`s Party, or SVP, and with 47 per cent of those polled against.
The head of polling group gfs.bern, Claude Longchamp, says a three per cent margin of error means the final outcome cannot be predicted with certainty yet.
The SVP plan drew fire from legal experts and anti-racism groups ahead of Sunday`s vote.
A government-backed proposal would have required case-by-case review by a judge before an individual is deported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Three candidates interviewed for SBI's MD post
- Awards are an inspiration to work harder: Amaal Mallik
- Former Real Madrid Galactico Michel Salgado signs for the Premier Futsal league
- Rate of inflation slower than in UPA times: PM Narendra Modi
- 2016 Canada Open: Jwala Gutta-Ashwini Ponappa pair eyes title ahead of Rio Games