Exit polls tilt toward Swiss deportation plan
Geneva: Swiss state broadcaster SF1 says exit polls indicate that voters narrowly backed a plan to automatically deport foreigners found guilty of committing serious crimes or benefit fraud.
SF1 says exit polls show 53 per cent of voters have voted in favour of the proposal put forward by the nationalist Swiss People`s Party, or SVP, and with 47 per cent of those polled against.
The head of polling group gfs.bern, Claude Longchamp, says a three per cent margin of error means the final outcome cannot be predicted with certainty yet.
The SVP plan drew fire from legal experts and anti-racism groups ahead of Sunday`s vote.
A government-backed proposal would have required case-by-case review by a judge before an individual is deported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?
- OP Jaisha's illness delays Sports Ministry probe into official apathy
- Subramanian Swamy moves SC for urgent hearing on plea against ban on CSK
- Leander Paes, Andre Begemann knock out top seeds in ATP Winston-Salem Open