Exit polls tilt toward Swiss deportation plan
Geneva: Swiss state broadcaster SF1 says exit polls indicate that voters narrowly backed a plan to automatically deport foreigners found guilty of committing serious crimes or benefit fraud.
SF1 says exit polls show 53 per cent of voters have voted in favour of the proposal put forward by the nationalist Swiss People`s Party, or SVP, and with 47 per cent of those polled against.
The head of polling group gfs.bern, Claude Longchamp, says a three per cent margin of error means the final outcome cannot be predicted with certainty yet.
The SVP plan drew fire from legal experts and anti-racism groups ahead of Sunday`s vote.
A government-backed proposal would have required case-by-case review by a judge before an individual is deported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you