Experts given days to ease Italy political crisis
Rome: Italy`s President says experts he named to help the country escape political gridlock will have eight to 10 days to identify the "serious problems" facing the nation and help fix them.
The experts met on Tuesday for the first time. Afterwards, Giorgio Napolitano said the experts wouldn`t identify candidates for a new government but rather "create more favourable conditions" to forming one.
He did not elaborate. Last week, the leader of a center-left party that did relatively well in recent elections failed to form a government.
Parliament will likely elect a new president before it confirms a new premier. Napolitano`s term ends on May 15; a vote for a successor is expected later this month.
The President acknowledged that "rigidity" of the main political forces has left him little room to manoeuvre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media