Experts to review evidence at Amanda Knox appeals trial
Perugia: Independent forensic
experts will have 90 days starting next month to review
crucial evidence linking American student Amanda Knox to the
murder of her British roommate, an appeals court said on Sunday.
Knox was convicted in 2009 of sexually assaulting and
murdering Meredith Kercher, and sentenced to 26 years in
Her co-defendant and ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito
was also convicted and sentenced to 25 years. Both have denied
Their lawyers have disputed DNA traces used to back up
the convictions and obtained an independent review at the
start of the appeals trial.
The experts appointed by the appeals court, Stefano
Conti and Carla Vecchiotti from Rome`s Sapienza University,
were formally sworn in at a hearing today, the first of the
They will begin their review on February 9 at a
university lab, conclude by May 9 and report their findings to
the court on May 21.
Kercher was stabbed to death the night of November 1,
2007. Her body was found in a pool of blood the following day
in the apartment the 21-year-old shared with Knox.
They were both exchange students in Perugia, a
university town in central Italy.
Prosecutors maintained in the first trial that
Knox`s DNA was found on the handle of a kitchen knife they
believe to be the murder weapon, and that Kercher`s DNA was
found on the blade. They say Sollecito`s DNA was found on the
clasp of Kercher`s bra.
The defence says those DNA traces were inconclusive
and that they might have been contaminated when they were
collected and analysed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi