Exploding ammunition kills 6 Russian soldiers
Rostov-on-Don: An explosion of old ammunition at a military base in southern Russia killed six soldiers and wounded 12 on Tuesday in the latest in a string of such accidents.
The blast occurred as the soldiers were disposing of old munitions on the Ashuluk base in the Astrakhan region, Emergencies Ministry spokesman Oleg Ivanov said. The cause was under investigation.
In April, a 76-millimeter artillery shell exploded at the same base, killing one serviceman, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported.
Also in April, an explosion of a 40-kilogram (88-pound) box of gunpowder at a military base near the city of Lipetsk, located south of Moscow, killed four people, the RIA Novosti news agency said.
This summer also saw two major fires at ammunition depots elsewhere in Russia that caused extensive damage and numerous injuries.
In the central region of Udmurtia, the fire burned for nearly two days. About 28,000 people were evacuated from their homes and around 50 were hospitalised.
No fire was reported after Tuesday`s explosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH