Exploding shells rock Russian military test site
Moscow: A series of explosions has rocked a Russian military test site, releasing giant clouds of smoke over Orenburg near the Kazakhstan border and causing aftershocks.
Orenburg Gov Yuri Berg wrote on his blog Tuesday that the three explosions were caused by unplanned shell detonations. He says emergency services saw no potential harm to local residents.
The Emergency Situations Ministry says the shells exploded while being unloaded from a supply train.
Twitter users reported that police closed roads leaving Orenburg and evacuated residents from central buildings and nearby villages as a precautionary measure.
Russian military equipment, which frequently dates back to the Soviet era, has exploded unexpectedly several times at test sites in recent years.
President Vladimir Putin has pledged to overhaul and modernise the country`s stagnant defense industry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panasonic launches T44 lite smartphone at Rs 3,199
- Gold prices slumps by Rs 100 to 30,800 per ten grams
- Karnataka bandh tomorrow; film theatres to remain closed, protests grow – More details
- HC upholds summoning of Vijay Mallya in cheque-bounce cases
- Scientists identify key protein that can predict ovarian cancer early!