Explosion, clashes kill 21 soldiers in Iraq
Baghdad: Officials in Iraq say an explosion at a booby-trapped house and ensuing clashes with militants have killed 21 soldiers west of Baghdad.
Police officials say the blast happened today when a group of soldiers searched a farmhouse in Garma, an area near the city of Fallujah, 65 kilometres west of the capital.
Minutes later, police say gunmen opened fire on arriving soldiers. Police say 24 soldiers were wounded.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren`t authorized to speak to journalists.
Al Qaeda-inspired militants took control of Fallujah and parts of Ramadi in Anbar province in late December. The takeover came after security forces arrested a Sunni lawmaker sought on terrorism charges, then dismantled a year-old Sunni anti-government protest camp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi