Explosion, clashes kill 21 soldiers in Iraq
Baghdad: Officials in Iraq say an explosion at a booby-trapped house and ensuing clashes with militants have killed 21 soldiers west of Baghdad.
Police officials say the blast happened today when a group of soldiers searched a farmhouse in Garma, an area near the city of Fallujah, 65 kilometres west of the capital.
Minutes later, police say gunmen opened fire on arriving soldiers. Police say 24 soldiers were wounded.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren`t authorized to speak to journalists.
Al Qaeda-inspired militants took control of Fallujah and parts of Ramadi in Anbar province in late December. The takeover came after security forces arrested a Sunni lawmaker sought on terrorism charges, then dismantled a year-old Sunni anti-government protest camp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!