Explosion hits Gulf facility in Puerto Rico
Catano: An explosion at a Gulf gasoline facility on Friday rocked a neighbourhood outside Puerto Rico`s capital, causing at least some minor injuries and forcing evacuations as firefighters raced to prevent additional blasts.
A column of black smoke and flames were rising from the Caribbean Petroleum Corp, a gasoline warehouse and distribution centre on San Juan`s bay that owns the Gulf brand in Puerto Rico. Authorities said the cause and the scale of the damage were not immediately clear.
FBI agents on the scene were among those investigating what caused the blast around 0430 GMT, according to police chief Jose Figueroa Sancha.
A police helicopter that flew over the area confirmed that 11 of more than 30 tanks had exploded, Figueroa Sancha said. Firefighters were planning to chill the remaining tanks in an effort to keep them from exploding. Dozens of fuel trucks were also being moved from the area.
"This is about containment," firefighter Brenda Rodriguez said.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the agency put a temporary flight restriction in place over the area because of smoke.
Figueroa Sancha said it would likely take several days to put out the gasoline-fuelled fire.
Authorities were evacuating people from communities downwind from the thick smoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi