Explosion hits Gulf facility in Puerto Rico
Catano: An explosion at a Gulf gasoline facility on Friday rocked a neighbourhood outside Puerto Rico`s capital, causing at least some minor injuries and forcing evacuations as firefighters raced to prevent additional blasts.
A column of black smoke and flames were rising from the Caribbean Petroleum Corp, a gasoline warehouse and distribution centre on San Juan`s bay that owns the Gulf brand in Puerto Rico. Authorities said the cause and the scale of the damage were not immediately clear.
FBI agents on the scene were among those investigating what caused the blast around 0430 GMT, according to police chief Jose Figueroa Sancha.
A police helicopter that flew over the area confirmed that 11 of more than 30 tanks had exploded, Figueroa Sancha said. Firefighters were planning to chill the remaining tanks in an effort to keep them from exploding. Dozens of fuel trucks were also being moved from the area.
"This is about containment," firefighter Brenda Rodriguez said.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the agency put a temporary flight restriction in place over the area because of smoke.
Figueroa Sancha said it would likely take several days to put out the gasoline-fuelled fire.
Authorities were evacuating people from communities downwind from the thick smoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP