Explosion hits Gulf facility in Puerto Rico
Catano: An explosion at a Gulf gasoline facility on Friday rocked a neighbourhood outside Puerto Rico`s capital, causing at least some minor injuries and forcing evacuations as firefighters raced to prevent additional blasts.
A column of black smoke and flames were rising from the Caribbean Petroleum Corp, a gasoline warehouse and distribution centre on San Juan`s bay that owns the Gulf brand in Puerto Rico. Authorities said the cause and the scale of the damage were not immediately clear.
FBI agents on the scene were among those investigating what caused the blast around 0430 GMT, according to police chief Jose Figueroa Sancha.
A police helicopter that flew over the area confirmed that 11 of more than 30 tanks had exploded, Figueroa Sancha said. Firefighters were planning to chill the remaining tanks in an effort to keep them from exploding. Dozens of fuel trucks were also being moved from the area.
"This is about containment," firefighter Brenda Rodriguez said.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the agency put a temporary flight restriction in place over the area because of smoke.
Figueroa Sancha said it would likely take several days to put out the gasoline-fuelled fire.
Authorities were evacuating people from communities downwind from the thick smoke.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India