Explosions rock Libyan battleground town
Ajdabiya: Loud explosions
rocked the Libyan battleground town of Ajdabiya for a second
day on Sunday, as rebel fighters advanced cautiously after
suffering a major reverse at the hands of loyalists.
An AFP correspondent in rebel-held territory east of
the town heard some 10 massive blasts in the space of minutes
as the two sides disputed the strategic road junction on the
east`s coastal and desert highways.
"There is intense shelling of the town from the west,"
resident Hafeth Zwai told a news agency by telephone.
He said he had no idea what casualties or damage the
artillery bombardment by forces loyal to Muammer Gaddafi was
causing as he was afraid to leave his home.
Yesterday, after advancing towards the oil refinery
town of Brega, some 80 kilometres further west on the central
coast, rebel forces ran into a loyalist counter-offensive that
saw them pushed all the back to the eastern edge of Ajdabiya.
The town itself was turned into a battlefield between
the rival fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown