Express concern over Leno joke: UK MPs to govt
London: A resolution was introduced in the
British Parliament on Thursday to ask the government to convey its
concern to the US over NBC television anchor Jay Leno`s
"disrespectful" use of the Golden Temple`s image on his show.
Indian origin MP Virendra Sharma and his fellow Labour
Party lawmaker John McDonnell tabled a motion in the House of
Commons, urging the David Cameron government to complain to
the Obama administration about Leno`s "disrespectful" use of
the Golden Temple`s image on his show.
Leno, the host of the popular "The Tonight Show" on NBC
channel, earlier this week flashed a picture of the Golden
Temple on his programme and termed it as a possible summer
home of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.
The motion wants the House to express "concern and regret
that the depiction of the Golden Temple as a home of the rich
showed a complete misunderstanding of the Sikh faith and was
derogatory to Sikhs across the world".
It "calls on Jay Leno and NBC to apologise to all Sikhs
for this disrespectful depiction of the Golden Temple; and
further calls on the government to make representations to the
US government that while recognising principles of freedom of
speech there should be more understanding and respect shown to
the Sikh faith".
The US has defended Leno`s right to free speech terming
his comments as "satirical" while applauding contributions of
"I think that Leno would be appreciative if we make the
point that his comments are constitutionally protected in the
United States under free speech, and frankly, they appeared to
be satirical in nature," State Department spokesperson
Victoria Nuland had told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!