External pressure on Sri Lanka hurt country progress: Mahinda Rajapaksa
Colombo: President Mahinda Rajapaksa today told a top UN official that undue external pressures on Sri Lanka were having adverse affects that could hurt the country`s progress.
John W Ashe, the president of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) is currently here to attend the 15th World Conference on Youth hosted by Sri Lanka.
Rajapaksa told the UNGA president that undue external pressure on his country has become a hindrance to national progress even as he hailed Sri Lanka`s growth.
"At present Sri Lanka`s annual average growth rate is 7 per cent. In the north it is around 22 per cent. Sri Lanka is among the few countries in Asia with a high growth rate after China," Rajapaksa pointed out.
The citing of external pressures by Rajapaksa is seen as a veiled reference to the UN Human Rights Council resolution against Sri Lanka adopted in March.
The resolution called for an international investigation into alleged war crimes by Sri Lankan troops towards the end of the country`s civil war against the LTTE in 2009.
Sri Lanka has said it will not cooperate with the investigation while rejecting the UN resolution.
Rajapaksa and Ashe inaugurated the 15th World Conference on Youth yesterday in the southern city of Hambantota.
The plenary sessions got underway today in Colombo with the participation of over 150 nations.
The UNGA president and youth ministers from several countries are participants, the conference secretariat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof