Extremists trying to hijack Syrian revolution: Hillary
Johannesburg: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that her country wanted to help the Syrian opposition unite against President Bashar Assad`s government, but urged it to resist efforts by ‘extremists’ to hijack the revolution.
“There are disturbing reports of extremists going into Syria attempting to take over what has been a legitimate revolution against an oppressive regime for their own purposes,” Hillary said.
According to News24, she warned during a visit to Croatia, that the opposition should "strongly resist the efforts by the extremists to hijack the Syrian revolution".
Hillary also said that the opposition umbrella group - the Syrian National Council (SNC) - `can no be longer be viewed as the visible leader of the opposition’.
“They can be part of the opposition, but the opposition must include people from inside Syria and others,” she added.
Hillary also called for an opposition "leadership structure" to ensure that all Syrians are represented and protected.
“There has to be a representation of those who are on the front line fighting and dying today,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday