Extremists trying to hijack Syrian revolution: Hillary
Johannesburg: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that her country wanted to help the Syrian opposition unite against President Bashar Assad`s government, but urged it to resist efforts by ‘extremists’ to hijack the revolution.
“There are disturbing reports of extremists going into Syria attempting to take over what has been a legitimate revolution against an oppressive regime for their own purposes,” Hillary said.
According to News24, she warned during a visit to Croatia, that the opposition should "strongly resist the efforts by the extremists to hijack the Syrian revolution".
Hillary also said that the opposition umbrella group - the Syrian National Council (SNC) - `can no be longer be viewed as the visible leader of the opposition’.
“They can be part of the opposition, but the opposition must include people from inside Syria and others,” she added.
Hillary also called for an opposition "leadership structure" to ensure that all Syrians are represented and protected.
“There has to be a representation of those who are on the front line fighting and dying today,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali