Facebook agrees to remove US school shooting pages
Hartford (US): Facebook has agreed to remove some so-called tribute pages related to last year`s Connecticut school shooting over concerns they`re being used to exploit the tragedy, US Senator Richard Blumenthal said on Tuesday.
Blumenthal and other lawmakers from the state requested the removal of offending pages in a letter today to Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg.
The lawmakers said some pages purportedly set up to honour the victims of the December 14 shooting have been used to exploit or harass the victims` families and could be used as vehicles for financial fraud.
In the letter, the lawmakers said they know of more than 100 pages dedicated to just one of the victims, teacher Victoria Soto.
Some contain postings from conspiracy theorists who claim the shootings were staged and that Soto and others were actors.
The lawmakers said Facebook also had received complaints from Soto`s family and the family of Kaitlin Roig, a teacher who survived and has been credited with saving the lives of her students by locking the class in a small bathroom and barricading the door.
A Facebook page titled "Kaitlin Roig is a Hero" prompted some abusive posts, such as one that reads, "Congratulations Kaitlin or whatever your name is... Now you`re famous and got to meet the `President.` You ought to be ashamed of yourself."
Blumenthal said his office received a phone call today from Facebook officials saying they had begun removing the pages immediately.
Facebook did not immediately reply to an email request for comment.
Blumenthal said they are not asking that all tribute or donation pages be removed, just the ones that are not authorised by the families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister