Facebook agrees to remove US school shooting pages
Hartford (US): Facebook has agreed to remove some so-called tribute pages related to last year`s Connecticut school shooting over concerns they`re being used to exploit the tragedy, US Senator Richard Blumenthal said on Tuesday.
Blumenthal and other lawmakers from the state requested the removal of offending pages in a letter today to Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg.
The lawmakers said some pages purportedly set up to honour the victims of the December 14 shooting have been used to exploit or harass the victims` families and could be used as vehicles for financial fraud.
In the letter, the lawmakers said they know of more than 100 pages dedicated to just one of the victims, teacher Victoria Soto.
Some contain postings from conspiracy theorists who claim the shootings were staged and that Soto and others were actors.
The lawmakers said Facebook also had received complaints from Soto`s family and the family of Kaitlin Roig, a teacher who survived and has been credited with saving the lives of her students by locking the class in a small bathroom and barricading the door.
A Facebook page titled "Kaitlin Roig is a Hero" prompted some abusive posts, such as one that reads, "Congratulations Kaitlin or whatever your name is... Now you`re famous and got to meet the `President.` You ought to be ashamed of yourself."
Blumenthal said his office received a phone call today from Facebook officials saying they had begun removing the pages immediately.
Facebook did not immediately reply to an email request for comment.
Blumenthal said they are not asking that all tribute or donation pages be removed, just the ones that are not authorised by the families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’