Facts about France
Paris: Here are key facts on France, where voting in the first round of the 2012 French presidential election took place Sunday.
Located in western Europe, France shares its borders with Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Spain and Andorra. It is also linked to Britain by the Channel Tunnel which passes underneath the English Channel.
With a total area of 632,834 sq km, France is the third largest country in Europe behind Russia and Ukraine. Its population reached 65.8 million as of January 2011, reported Xinhua.
France is one of the most developed countries with the fifth largest economy in the world. In 2011, its GDP reached $2.808 trillion, with an annual growth rate of 1.8 percent.
France enjoys a leading position in sectors such as nuclear power, aerospace, and railway. According to the latest data, in 2010, France`s export totaled $508.7 billion dollars, and its imports stood at $577.7 billion.
France is also a leading agricultural producer and exporter in Europe. Wheat, poultry, dairy, beef and pork, as well as internationally recognized foodstuff and wine are primary French agricultural exports.
With a long history and abundant cultural and natural heritage, France is one of the most visited country in the world, receiving around 82 million foreign tourists annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured