Facts about France
Paris: Here are key facts on France, where voting in the first round of the 2012 French presidential election took place Sunday.
Located in western Europe, France shares its borders with Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Spain and Andorra. It is also linked to Britain by the Channel Tunnel which passes underneath the English Channel.
With a total area of 632,834 sq km, France is the third largest country in Europe behind Russia and Ukraine. Its population reached 65.8 million as of January 2011, reported Xinhua.
France is one of the most developed countries with the fifth largest economy in the world. In 2011, its GDP reached $2.808 trillion, with an annual growth rate of 1.8 percent.
France enjoys a leading position in sectors such as nuclear power, aerospace, and railway. According to the latest data, in 2010, France`s export totaled $508.7 billion dollars, and its imports stood at $577.7 billion.
France is also a leading agricultural producer and exporter in Europe. Wheat, poultry, dairy, beef and pork, as well as internationally recognized foodstuff and wine are primary French agricultural exports.
With a long history and abundant cultural and natural heritage, France is one of the most visited country in the world, receiving around 82 million foreign tourists annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog