Failure of peace process greater threat than Iran nukes: Barak
Jerusalem: Israeli Defense Minister on Tuesday
underlined the importance of a peace deal with Palestinians,
saying unresolved borders are more dangerous to the Jewish
nation than Iran`s nuclear programme.
Ehud Barak said that Israel`s failure to strike a
peace deal with the Palestinians was a greater threat to the
country than a nuclear Iran.
"The lack of a solution to the problem of border
demarcation within the historic Land of Israel - and not an
Iranian bomb - is the most serious threat to Israel`s future,"
Barak told mediaperson.
According to a report in the Haaretz daily, Barak
called on Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to return to the negotiating table to end the deadlock over the peace process.
The Palestinian leader has refused to begin talks
until Israel freezes settlement building in the West bank,
including in east Jerusalem.
The United States has proposed a new initiative to
nudge Palestinians back into peace talks with Israel.
According to reports, the new plan calls on Israel to
loosen its hold on some Palestinian-controlled areas, release
a number of prisoners and ease a virtual blockade of the Gaza
The initiative was aimed at "creating an atmosphere"
for the relaunching of peace talks suspended over a year ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read